Sr Information Security Engineer - Vulnerability Management
Posted on: June 11, 2019
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications and IT services
company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the
digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems
management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting,
cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband,
voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a
robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a
360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit
CenturyLink for more information.
The Senior Information Security Engineer on the Cybersecurity
Vulnerability Assessment Services (CVAS) team within Enterprise
Security is primarily responsible for identifying, establishing,
enhancing, and performing operational functions of vulnerability
management. Operational functions include establishing and
maintaining scanning capabilities, identifying vulnerabilities
through scanning capabilities, and providing remediation oversight
of vulnerabilities on CenturyLink servers, databases, applications,
network elements, and other systems across the corporate
enterprise. The engineer is responsible to assist with realizing
strategic security initiatives to improve the team capabilities
associated with vulnerability management and vulnerability scanning
methodology. The engineer will conduct penetration testing on a
limited basis to assist the CVAS team penetration testers and to
advance penetration testing skills.
The engineer must possess general knowledge of cybersecurity
threats, vulnerabilities, and technologies. The engineer must
possess broad knowledge of Information Security and Information
Technology (IT) systems as well as a reasonable understanding in
all disciplines of networking, programming, application development
and system administration. The engineer must have effective oral
and written communication skills to provide remediation oversight
of vulnerabilities, document team procedures and processes, and
assist with documents intended for executive review and approvals.
The engineer must be able to work independently, as well as
collaboratively with others, to foster consulting with internal
- Represent Corporate Security as a Subject Matter Expert (SME)
regarding CenturyLink vulnerability scanning capabilities and
- Oversee the response to High severity vulnerabilities that
impact CenturyLink systems by analyzing the vulnerabilities,
identifying systems impacted, and collaborating with system owners
to communicate the risk of vulnerabilities, establish remediation
priority, and validate remediation efforts.
- Coordinate and lead routine vulnerability scanning and
remediation oversight on CenturyLink systems as required for
compliance of Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI
DSS), Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and other
industry compliance standards as necessary.
- Identify vulnerabilities on CenturyLink systems through
vulnerability scanning for CenturyLink infrastructures, products,
and services encompassing network elements, operating systems,
databases, and applications across the corporate enterprise.
- Contribute to realize strategic security initiatives to improve
vulnerability management and vulnerability scanning capabilities
through automation development, processes enhancements, and
- Create reports and generate vulnerability metrics for executive
management levels to utilize in making informed business decisions
that impact the security of CenturyLink and its customers.
- Perform operational support of vulnerability management systems
and applications that the CVAS team is responsible to maintain and
define documented procedures and processes.
- Conduct penetration testing on a limited basis to assist the
CVAS team penetration testers.
- Identify deficiencies within vulnerability management and
vulnerability scanning tools, procedures, and processes and provide
recommendations for improvement.
- Contribute to develop, facilitate, and maintain the Information
Security Policy, Methods & Procedures, Technical Standards,
Technical Best Practices, and general processes for vulnerability
- Instill a security culture company-wide through vulnerability
awareness and remediation mindset.
- Undergraduate degree in Information Security, Computer Science,
Computer Engineering, or related field, or equivalent
- 2+ years' experience in Information Security; or 1+ years with
a Master's degree and relevant work experience.
- Applied experience performing vulnerability scanning and
vulnerability management functions for medium to large
- Experience utilizing multiple vulnerability scanning tools and
- Knowledge of current and emerging cybersecurity threats,
vulnerabilities, and technologies.
- Awareness of NIST Vulnerability Database pertaining to
vulnerability severity ratings.
- Basic knowledge of programing languages such as C/C++, C#,
VB.NET, ASP, PHP, PERL, Python, Java, Assembly, UNIX Shell,
Microsoft PowerShell, or other programming language.
- General understanding of common networking protocols.
- General understanding and experience of UNIX derivative
operating system distributions as well as various Windows operating
- Effective oral and written communication skills and comfort
with presenting technical issues to all levels of management, as
well as non-technical staff.
- Applicable professional certification encompassing multiple
foundational security domains must be in place, such as CISSP,
GSEC, GCED, or Security+.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, related
field, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience performing vulnerability scanning full
time in a large enterprise environment encompassing network
elements/protocols, operating systems, databases, and applications
including systems in scope for a compliance standard.
- Applied experience performing penetration testing.
- Applied experience with OWASP Top 10, SANS Top 20, and NIST
- Applied experience in application development utilizing C/C++,
C#, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, PERL, Python, Java, Assembly, UNIX Shell,
Microsoft PowerShell, or other programming language.
- Experience as a network/firewall engineer, administrator,
designer, implementer, or support technician with technologies,
tools, and process controls to minimize risk and data
- Awareness of information security industry and regulatory
obligations (PCI, FISMA, HIPAA, ISO 27001/27002, NIST Framework)
pertaining to vulnerability management.
- Applicable specialized professional certification in the domain
of vulnerability assessments or penetration testing, such as CEH,
GPEN, GWEB, or OSCP.
- Possesses a US Government Secret (or higher) security
Alternate Location: US-Colorado-Broomfield; US-Colorado-Denver;
US-Colorado-Littleton; US-Kansas-Gardner; US-Kansas-New Century;
Requisition #: 212352
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment.
A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all
persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national
origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic
characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation,
gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other
legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We
do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment
decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion,
benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate
the general nature and level of work performed by employees within
this classification. It is not designed to contain or be
interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned
to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change
based on changing business needs and conditions.
Keywords: CenturyLink, Broomfield , Sr Information Security Engineer - Vulnerability Management, Executive , Broomfield, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!